Tuesday, October 19, 2010

First Appointment!

Sweet Baby James,

Today was an exciting milestone, because I had my first official "I'm Pregnant" visit with the midwife. Woo!

Now before anyone out there reading thinks I've gone crazy and that I'll be delivering my baby on my sofa or in my bathtub by candlelight or something, fear not. I will be having my baby very safely at top-notch Vanderbilt Hospital. There will be doctors and surgeons and anesthesiologists and all the modern medical marvels at my disposal should they be needed/wanted.

My prenatal care and labor will be overseen by the capable, highly-trained team of nurse-midwives at the Vanderbilt Nurse-Midwife Clinic. All the nurse-midwives have at least their masters in Nursing, and many have their doctorates as well. On top of that they are all specially trained and certified in midwifery (aka the care for pregnant women and the delivery of babies).

I decided to go with the nurse-midwives after hearing from multiple friends about the wonderful, personal care they received, particularly in having one of the nurse-midwives by their sides for the entire length of their labor.

My midwife's name is Lauren. Ben got to come with me, too, which is awesome! We talked about how I was feeling, any questions I had, and established May 28 as my official due date. I got some specifics about medicines I can and can't take right now, which was helpful. And we set up a meeting for me to come back in 6 weeks. By then I'll be 14 weeks along and it will be time to see how much you've grown and, most excitingly, hear your heart beating! It is beating now, and has been for a few weeks, but by then you'll be big enough for us to pick up the sounds! Amazing.

I also got a flu shot, which is good because I do not want you or me getting sick during this winter season! I had to do the ole' pee in a cup, as well as give a LOT of blood - seven vials worth, whew - for all the tests they'll need to do. That was it! I was an excellent blood-giver so Ben rewarded me with a trip to the frozen yogurt joint.

More tomorrow!

Love,

Momma

No comments: