Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Soup's On!


It finally, mercifully cooled off here in Nashville. Now it actually feels like the beginning of Fall, instead of Summer Part II: The Sequel. And I really love Fall, because it includes some of my favorite things like football and hoodies and crunchy leaves and soup!

I tried a new soup recipe just a few days ago and it was so good I just had to share! I got it from a Paula Deen magazine, so I wouldn't call it a particularly healthy soup, but it is warm and hearty and really really yummy! Plus you could probably make it a little healthier with a few modifications and it is even vegetarian friendly, if you substitute (even accidentally, as I did) vegetable broth for the chicken broth.

Here is the recipe, and then I'll mention the handful of modifications I made.

Potato Corn Chowder


  • 1/2 cup butter

  • 1 cup diced onion

  • 1 cup diced carrot

  • 1 cup diced celery

  • 1 cup diced red bell pepper

  • 3 cloves garlic, minced

  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1 32-oz carton chicken broth

  • 4 cups whole milk

  • 6 cups quartered red potatoes

  • 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme

  • 2 pounds frozen corn kernels

  • 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese

  • 1 cup sour cream

  • 2 1/2 teaspoons salt

  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

  • 1 teaspoon hot sauce

In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, red bell pepper, and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are very tender.

Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and milk. Add potatoes and thyme; bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Add corn; increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper, and hot sauce, stirring until cheese is melted. Remove from heat, and serve immediately.

***

You can make it just like that, but if you're like me I needed to make some modifications. Here's what I did, whether by accident or necessity, but it still turned out deliciously.

Ingredients:


  • I used dried minced onion instead of fresh diced, because I seriously loathe dicing onion. Just make sure to use the correct equivalent. Mine said 1 tablespoon was equal to about a 1/3 cup fresh.

  • I used a pre-diced mix of red/yellow/green bell pepper, which I found in the fresh produce section of the grocery store. I also found pre-diced fresh celery. So handy!

  • I love garlic, but didn't have any fresh or jarred, so I just gave a good shake of garlic salt. Not the same thing, but I had to make do.

  • I accidentally bought and used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. It still tasted great!

  • I accidentally bought (see the theme here) not enough whole milk so I ended up using 2 cups whole, 2 cups skim. Health bonus!

  • When I quartered the red potatoes they still looked way too big. So I say, just cut the potatoes into chunky bite-size pieces.

  • I had no thyme, fresh or otherwise. Oops.

  • I used reduced fat (but not fat-free) sour cream

  • I did not put in hot sauce. I figured Ben could add his own if he wanted.

Directions:


  • I do not have a Dutch oven, so I just used a big stock pot and tried to control the temperature as needed.

  • Also, in the step where I added the flour, the veggies sucked it up very quickly so I don't think I cooked them for the full 2 minutes suggested because I was afraid they would start to burn.

  • The recipe didn't say, but it makes a LOT of soup. Ben had two full bowls, I had one, and I probably filled four good size tupperwares up with the leftovers.

I hope you try it out and enjoy it as much as I did! Yummy and perfect for a crisp, cool fall evening!

2 comments:

Lorie Elaine said...

oh YUMMY! adam would love this. i have a recipe close to this too. mmmm soup in fall, the best!

Heather said...

I made this tonight and it was delicious! Thanks for posting, dear. :)