Wednesday, December 03, 2008

To Hear the Angels Sing


I have mentioned before here when I've blogged about music that I love when an artist redoes a familiar song in a way that makes it new again. This has been true for me on numerous occassions with hymns, and I find it especially powerful for Christmas hymns.

On the one hand, the familiarity of Christmas hymns is part of their charm. They haven't changed; their words and melodies ring true as ever and usher in the anticipation of the season. But on the other hand, they are in danger of becoming meaningless, as the words tumble over our lips without much thought to what they mean anymore. The wonder and captivating beauty of what the songs are celebrating gets lost somehow.

So I wanted to share today how one such song became new to me again. I was never a big fan of "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear" anyway - the melody is kind of awkward and gets really high, and it just didn't pack the emotional punch of some of my favorites. But yesterday I was listening to Sara Groves' new Christmas album and her version of the song totally captured my attention. By the end I was crying, overcome by the lovely old words and the sweet hope they proclaimed.

You must listen to Sara's version of the song on her myspace page. Click the link and then in the music player select the Christmas album and find "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear." I hope it moves you as it did me. Here are the beautiful lyrics to the hymn in case you need a reminder.

It came upon a midnight clear
That glorious song of old
From angels bending near the earth
To touch their harps of gold;
“Peace on the earth, good will to men,
From Heaven’s all gracious King.”
The world in solemn stillness lay,
To hear the angels sing.

And ye beneath life’s crushing load,
Whose forms are bending low,
Who toil along the climbing way
With painful steps and slow,
Look now! for glad and golden hours
Come swiftly on the wing.
O rest beside the weary road,
And hear the angels sing!

Still through broken skies they come
With peaceful wings unfurled,
And still their heavenly music floats
O’er all the weary world.
Above its sad and lowly plains,
They bend on hovering wing,
And ever over its Babel sounds
The blessèd angels sing.

What a beautiful message! So many centuries ago, the angels spilled forth from heaven to proclaim the good news - not just that Jesus was born, but that God desired to reconcile with His children. They sing it still, o'er all the weary world, above our noise and fear and sadness, if only we will listen. We have such a great hope. Look now! Our salvation comes, riding on the dawn...

4 comments:

Heather said...

No 4th verse?? It's my favorite! Hope fulfilled:

For lo! the days are hastening on,
By prophets seen of old,
When with the ever-circling years
Shall come the time foretold,
When the new heaven and earth shall own
The Prince of Peace, their King,
And the whole world send back the song
Which now the angels sing.

AmyBethJames said...

Oops I cut that verse off! It isn't in Sara's version but I agree it is so lovely. I like the "whole world send back the song" part. :)

Kali said...

I love that song! And the whole album. But then again, she is my favorite. I like her version of "O Holy Night" too - though it's hard to beat the original.

lila kate said...

I heard her sing "Have Yourself a Merry little Christmas" which is one of my least favorite christmas songs and she may have turned it into one of my favorites! (her version only, not the original!) And although I wouldn't have played with O Holy Night the way she did, I do love me some Sara G and will continue to investigate her and her musicalities!