Tuesday, December 09, 2008

I'm Not A Trekkie.

I just wanted to make that clear. I've never been to a convention, worn a costume, read the books, or learned to speak Klingon. I don't know the history of the Enterprise or how all the many manifestations of the Star Trek universe fit together.

That distinction aside, however, I am a fan of Star Trek, albeit a casual one. Here's why.

See, one of my fondest childhood memories is curling up next to my dad on the couch while he watched Star Trek. He was always a sci-fi fan, my dad - from him I learned to love Douglas Adams, Ray Bradbury, and the X-Files. While he'd watched the original Star Trek show in the 60s, he raised me on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Each week we joined our beloved crew - Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Riker, Geordi, Data, Worf, Counselor Troi - aboard the USS Enterprise for another episode of intergalactic goodness. I still remember bits and pieces of my favorite episodes... I think I even saw one or two of the movies.


So even though I haven't watched an episode of Star Trek in probably 15 years, I still geeked out a little when I learned that J.J. Abrams (oh, he who brought us the trifecta of awesomeness that is Lost-Alias-Felicity) was directing a new Star Trek film. And I geeked out even more when I saw the trailer in all its big-screen-glory before the new Bond movie a few weeks ago:





See, it looks kind of awesome, right?! No? Anyone?

Well, if nothing else I'm pretty sure my dad will go with me...

No comments: