Monday, October 13, 2008

Headband Headache

This one is for all the ladies out there.


I don't want to complain about headbands. I love them. I am so glad they are back in style and available in a bevy of adorable colors, prints, and widths. However...



We all know how it feels. You're a few hours into your day, rockin' the cutest little headband to hold back your too long bangs or unwashed hair or to spruce up a ponytail (headbands cover a multitude of hair sins). Soon, however, you begin to feel it. The sides of your head, from your temples to your cheeks, start to ache. Sweet relief can be yours if you remove the headband, which you might do for a few minutes in the privacy of your own office, pressing your fingers into the tender indentations behind your ears. But you can't afford to be in comfort for long, because of course your hair has a permanent dent from where the headband was, or your bangs are now standing on end... and you just look really weird. So, back on goes the headband, which now instead of being your partner in cuteness is your enemy in the axis of pain.


Solutions have long been offered - a head scarf! An item which looks like a headband but has elastic in the back so it is soft! A bandana! I own all these things, and while they are cute in their own right, they come with their own problems. No pain - but then they're slipping off your head or causing the hair at the nape of your neck to bump up over the fabric making it look like you have a neck tumor. Just... so many problems.


So, here's the thing, headband makers of the world. Just, take a headband and hold it in your hands and look at it for a second. The space between the ear pieces is probably what... two inches? Now look at the average human head. It is probably a good 6 or 7 inches wide. So. You do the math. I understand it needs to be smaller to keep the tension to hold the hair down, but maybe we could meet somewhere in the middle. Because right now, my head is in the middle of a headband. And it is saying ouch.


P.S. Just like high heels, I will continue to wear headbands even though they cause me pain. Because they are adorable.

3 comments:

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

(Sorry, I posted an incomplete comment before!)

Two things:
1. I totally agree with you on the headband headache thing, and my cranium is on the small side. It stinks, and seems like something that more-thoughtful manufacturing could easily remedy.

2. That said, where can a buy the headband in the photograph? It is CUTE!

lila kate said...

A) I agree with Heather. I love that headband.

B) I have a big head and headbands always give me the worst worst worst throbbing pain! But I'm stuck with it because that's the day I didn't totally dry my hair and I just stuck a headband in there and now I've got a wonky hair ridge!! I agree with your blog completely!