Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Boomer Sooner

One reason I love fall is because of college football. One reason I love the second Saturday in October is because it marks my favorite game, the Red River Shootout between the Texas Longhorns and the Oklahoma Sooners. The game, going on for over a century, takes place on "neutral" ground at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas, and coincides with the Texas State Fair. The stadium is awash in color - as neatly as if you'd colored it in with crayons, one half is deep red, the other burnt orange.




This year the excitement is even greater as both teams are unbeaten and battling for control of the Big XII South - and maybe even a spot in the National Championship game. OU is currently ranked 1st, while Texas (the second of six ranked Big XII teams) is ranked 5th. Somebody's got to go down first...

In case it wasn't obvious from the title of this post, I'm going to be cheering on the Sooners this weekend. Becoming a Sooner fan was something that came to me from two places. The first was that I was born and lived for the first decade of my life in Edmond, Oklahoma - definitely Sooner country. The second is that my dad went to OU for college and I can always remember watching the Red River game with him. My parents taught me the Boomer Sooner song... the words to which at first struck me as utterly ridiculous, but it grew on me! I was able to go to my first ever OU game (first ever college football game actually) in Kansas City in 2005, when Kansas and OU played at Arrowhead.

Being a Sooner fan means a few things. You were born with or quickly developed a hatred of Texas, and know to display the hook 'em horns upside down to show your dismay. You have only disgust for Notre Dame - still harboring a passed-down-through-generations grudge that they were the school that ended OU's five year winning streak in 1957. You have a healthy arrogance about being the winningest, most decorated program in the Big XII - and by extension you are confident that the Big XII is the best conference in all of college football. Yes, even better than those SEC show-offs. Way better than those pesky Pac-10 teams. You know that the school colors aren't red & white - they're crimson & cream. You love Saturdays in the fall and you never have to worry about the season ending early, because your team knows its way to a BCS bowl game just fine, thanks very much. And this year, you know Heisman favorite QB Sam Bradford could takes us all the way to the championship at the Orange Bowl.

P.S. He's only a sophomore.


So with all that said, here's hollering Boomer Sooner for my team this Saturday - let's kick some Texas tail, boys!

2 comments:

Heather said...

Oh my gosh, it's so cute that you think Big 12 is a better conference than the SEC!!! I didn't know there was such a thing as football fan-fiction.

Also, a sophomore has only won the Heisman once in history. It was Tim Tebow. Last year. Now who does he play for? OH! That's right- the Florida Gators. Now THERE'S a football team!!!!! GO GATORS!!!!!!!!! GO SEC!!!!!! The only conference with enough depth that every conference game is a tough win! And being undefeated (go Vandy!) actually means something!!!

Have fun watching your game, though. The score will probably be something like 65-49, knowing Big 12 defenses. :)

AmyBethJames said...

I think we can agree to disagree on this one. You have to show love for your own conference, I respect. How about a statement we can both get behind? The Big XII and the SEC are infinitely better than the PAC-10 and Big 10 teams like USC and Ohio State, who despite losing games (and poorly) still somehow get ranked. Blech.

And PS I am having fun rooting for Vandy too! I hope they keep winning! I'm a sucker for an underdog.