Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Oscar Fashion 2011! The Anne Hathaway Edition!

Oscar hostess Anne Hathaway not only had to carry the dead weight of her possibly stoned co-host James Franco throughout the telecast, she also had to pull off eight costume/hair changes. For that, let's give her the honor of her very own post.


On the red carpet, Anne wore vintage Valentino. To be honest, I thought it was kinda ugly. The RED of it all, the matching lipstick, the awful under-butt poof... I wasn't feeling this one.

Her first outfit on stage was this Givenchy gown. How happy does she look? I would be too, because this dress is very lovely. It is somehow soft and curve-creating, even though the bodice has an "armor" feel to it. It looks like she could be about to sing in an opera. But, you know, in a good way.

Next she changed into this menswear-inspired getup for her song and dance number. I was all set to make some jokes about the usefulness of tuxedo capris, but I got really distracted by her incredible sparkly shoes. I love them so much. I want to have them, but since they are hand-encrusted with thousands of Swarovski crystals, they are probably a little more than I can afford right now. Let's just look at them together:


Next stop was this Vivienne Westwood dress, and it was another I didn't care for. It was veering into "old-timey saloon," which is never great, and then the braided bun was really off.


This Oscar de la Renta sassy fringed gown was awesome. The look was fun and relaxed, and it shows.

I liked this Versace red slinky gown much better than her red carpet gown, both in the style and the shade. In this picture the detail is coming across as very rubbery, but this wasn't at all the way it appeared on television. Also her hair here is really gorgeous. This might have been her favorite, too, or at least the most comfortable - it is what she changed back into for the after parties.

I really hated this blue Armani gown when I saw it on TV. In my notes I jotted down that it looked like molded vinyl. It has grown on me just a little when I saw it in pictures, but I still don't love it. It was very stiff and futuristic, and seemed to come out of left field compared to everything else she wore. Here you can see a comparison with the original runway gown, and in my opinion the fit wasn't quite right to pull off the same effect.


This Tom Ford gown was the one she wore to close the show. At first sight on screen, I seriously thought it was see-through and the whole world was getting a lace-difused view of Annie's tatas. Upon closer inspection, it was of course NOT see-through, but it was very, very, very tight. And very, very, very, up-to-the-neck-down-to-the-wrists lacy. The effect of the lace sort of liquidizing into the beaded/crystal bottom portion is interesting, but overall it was sort of a severe look.


Anne seemed to do the best she could with the host material AND with the wearing of lots of super-fancy gowns. I hope she was able to go home and made her final change into some really comfy pajamas!

PS. I am working on a bigger, all-inclusive fashion post, but it is... taking some time. Stay tuned! :)

1 comment:

amanda said...

the fringe gown was my favorite, especially for the little dance she did. :)