Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Love of God

Could we with ink the ocean fill
And were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade
To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole
Though stretched from sky to sky.

From the hymn "The Love of God," words and music by Frederick Lehman. This stanza of the hymn is based on part of a Jewish poem written around 1050. I had never heard this song before, but we sang it in church today. I scribbled down a few of the words so I could look it up as soon as I got home.

2 comments:

Heather said...

awww, I grew up with this one! Sometimes our church mini-orchestra would do a really great arrangement of it at Easter. Thanks for reminding me of it. :)

Jennifer@ Surprising Joy said...

Amy, it's getting eerie. I did the same thing. I've sung this song many times but never can remember the name when I get home, so I scribbled it down Thursday. That stanza gets me every time.