Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Meet Me In St. Louie, Louie



I know, I know. It must seem like I've vanished. Both from this blog, and from my actual life. So where have I been? Well, three weeks ago I came up to St. Louis for what was supposed to be a week long trip. Only... I'm still here. It happened something like this.

Three weeks ago, Hudson and I drove (well, I drove and Hudson rode) to St. Louis. We were planning to attend the wedding of a family friend. In addition, I've been trying to get Hudson over to Kansas to visit my extended family there, whom he hadn't seen since Thanksgiving. So we decided that I would come to St. Louis, spend a couple days, go to this wedding, and then drive with my mom to Kansas, spend a few days there, then drive back to St. Louis, then Huddy and I would go on home to Nashville. In the meantime, Ben was supposed to have been on this big work trip to New York and California, so we would be gone at the same time. 

Still with me? All this happened according to plan, except while we were in Kansas, it turned out Ben's work trip had been canceled, so he decided to fly to St. Louis and we would meet there, spend the weekend all together with the families, and then drive back to Nashville together.

Except THEN, when we were in Kansas City visiting my cousin, we found out that the next weekend was their baby's first birthday party and my OTHER cousin who I haven't seen in two years would be there. She lives in Boston and rarely gets back out to the midwest. So when we got back to St. Louis and met up with Ben, we decided it would be better if I just stayed an extra week so I could go BACK to Kansas City and see her. Except I wouldn't just stay ONE extra week. I would stay TWO extra weeks. Because we had already planned to be BACK in St. Louis this coming weekend when we had tickets to a ball game and The Lion King. I really hated to be apart for so long ("People are going to think we are having marriage problems or something," I said), but knowing Ben had a crazy time of work ahead which would mean long hours home alone, we decided it was for the best that I stay put. Ben would take the car (which I had originally driven to St. Louis -- please keep up, dear reader) and go back to Nashville since he had to work. Then when he drove back for our baseball/musical weekend, we would all finally drive back together.

Do you feel confused? I feel confused. Suffice to say, we haven't been in Nashville in what seems like forever! But we are, I promise, coming home this very Sunday. 

We've packed a LOT into these past three weeks! We've been to the zoo (twice), Kansas City (twice), southern Kansas, Forest Park, the pool, a wedding, a baseball game, a 30th birthday party, and more. In the meantime Huddy turned 14 months, Ben turned 30, I turned 29, and my parents celebrated their 41st wedding anniversary. Sheesh! Hopefully I can get my act together and blog about all of it. Or at least some of it. Or maybe none of it. Gotta keep your expectations low, people.

Quick, let me distract you with a pictorial sampling of our adventures from the past month:

Playing with second cousin Knox

Now claps for himself every time he plays the piano


Teaching him to pet a horse at Forest Park

Hudson with Auntie Ashley at a wedding. Let's just say this outfit was a big hit.

We watched a lot of Olympics. Go America!

Reading with Great-Grandma Anita

We now require a cape for most activities.

I'm only turning 29! No, seriously. 1983. Check it.

Skyping with Daddy makes us happy!

At the Cardinals game two weekends ago

Train ride at the StL Zoo



1 comment:

ROAST said...

He's getting big. Yay for St. Louis and Birthdays and everything.