Friday, August 17, 2012

Kansas! (Also, Kansas: The Sequel)

A big chunk of this extended trip that Huddy and I have been on has involved traveling to Kansas to visit family. Both my parents were born and raised in the same small town in south central Kansas, and all of my mom's side of the family still lives there. It is challenging to get out there for a visit because it is a long drive - about eight hours - and even more so with a little one. When we went with Hudson for Thanksgiving, we flew to Kansas City and then my parents picked us up to make it the rest of the way. But this time my mom and I would be driving with Hudson all the way from St. Louis. For the most part, he was a great car napper and God bless the iPhone, which kept him pretty well occupied for any awake time!

Huddy had a great time at Great-Grandma's house. It was a little tough because their place is (understandably) not exactly baby-proofed. I found myself having to say "no" a lot more than usual, which I hate, but it was tough to balance between letting him explore and keeping him (and Grandma's knick-knacks) safe! Still, he was so sweet and happy and did great with all the people he's only met once. We were confined indoors for the most part because every day we were there it was over 100 degrees. But he found plenty to keep him entertained.

Mom tied a tea-towel around him like a cape and then he decided he wanted to wear it at all times!

Showing Great-Grandma Anita his little car.

My mom with my grandma and grandpa

Huddy really took a liking to my Uncle Phil. So cute!

He got this little car from some of the family. He loves riding it but mostly pushing it around.

Uncle Bob and Aunt Sandy got him his very own Harley Davidson gear.

Hanging out on Great-Grandma's front porch.

My cute grandparents!


Truth be told, there's not much in Wellington, Kansas. But there is a Braums. What's that, you ask? Oh, just some of the world's finest icecream. Which, tragically for the rest of us, is pretty much only available in Oklahoma and Kansas. We made a daily trip for our icecream fix. On our last day, I decided Huddy had been such a wonderful boy on our trip that it was high time he saw what all the icecream fuss was about. Baby's first icecream cone was, needless to say, a HUGE hit.

"What do I do with this?"

Lightbulb moment.


Once the top part was gone, he tried to drink it out of the cone.


Took the icecream away for a second to get this messy-face photo...

I WAS NOT DONE GIVE IT BACK WHYYYYY

"Never do that again."


Once we wrapped up our time in Wellington, we headed back to St. Louis. On our way, we made stops in Topeka and Kansas City to visit even MORE family. It actually worked out well to help break up the car time for Hudson, and I was so grateful to see some relatives I hadn't seen in far too long. In Topeka we stopped to see my Uncle Joe. He was at his mom's house making tortillas so we joined in the fun! They are Mexican and I love getting little glimpses into the culture when I get the chance to spend time with them.


Huddy approves of the final product.

Me and Hudster with Mary, Uncle Joe, and his mom Jenny


Finally, we made our way to Kansas City to see my cousin Mitchell (Joe's son, if you're trying to fill in your own personal copy of my Family Tree). I hadn't seen him in practically two years, during which he had gotten engaged and had a baby of his own! Knox is only about 2.5 months younger than Hudson, so they were fast friends. It was pretty awesome for my boy to be playing with his second cousin.

New friends with fun toys!

Me, Hudson, Courtney, Knox, and Mitchell

Such a cutie and so many teeth!

In fact, we had so much fun with Knox and Co. that we decided to come BACK to Kansas City the following weekend for his 1st birthday party! We were also excited that we would get to see my cousin Katie (Mitchell's sister; I'll wait while you jot that down). Again, we hadn't seen her in ages and it was wonderful to introduce her to Hudson in person. He had lots of fun being the only other baby at the party and getting to "borrow" some presents while Knox was otherwise occupied. 

Love this shot of Hudson holding on to my dad. :)

Hudson "helping" Knox with one of his presents.

Katie finally gets to meet Huddy!


Unfortunately, the party proved to be too much fun for Hudson, as he then spent two of the four hours of our drive back to St. Louis awake and crying. Yikes. I guess he just loved Kansas so much he was sad to leave.

Thus ended our adventures visiting everyone to whom we are related within a 500 mile radius. It was exhausting but wonderful. There's nothing quite like family, is there? We are pretty blessed with ours.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

He is so stinking cute, Amy! Who do you guys think he looks like? The blonde hair makes me think Ben - but then I see you in his sweet little face.

AmyBethJames said...

Thanks Jackie! Yeah, I think the coloring with the blonde hair and blue eyes definitely makes me think Ben, but I don't think his face looks much like either of us right now. I pulled out some of my baby photos from around this age and we have a pretty strong resemblance in them. I can't wait to see what he turns out like as he grows!