Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Emmy Fashion Roundup & Rundown! (Part I)

The Emmys were held Sunday night and I've rounded up the best and... least best. Let's get to it, ladies and gents! I'm going in alphabetical order, for fairness sake...

ANNA TORV

Isn't this a fun little dress? I wish she'd done a little something with her hair but even so she looks great and this dress is flattering her athletic figure. I love the color (up close it is a little more of a pink-red than a red-red), I love the sequins, I love the fact that it has sleeves! Making it look easy to look good.

CHLOE SEVIGNY

I don't often have nice things to say about Chloe's fashion sense. Some people are gaga over it, but I mostly don't get it. This dress, however, I adore. It takes a classic, upscale silhouette but makes it interesting with the fabric and pattern choices. Fun and young and unique. I do wish she didn't insist on doing her own hair and makeup (c'mon, you know she did) because it could be a lot better.

CHRISTINA APPLEGATE

Oh dear, dear, dear. This dress is awful. It looks simultaneously frumpy and overwrought and WHAT is going ON with that weird line across her chest?! Is it a curiously lilting band of beading? Or is it a one-shouldered cape? BECAUSE THAT IS NOT BETTER.

DREW BARRYMORE

Ben loves Drew Barrymore. I like her too, and I like how now in her 30s she is looking better than ever. But I do not like this dress. This looks falls into the dangerous territory of doing unicolor hair-face-skin-dress. I like the shape and style of the dress, but the color is dingy and wrong.

ELIZABETH MOSS


I've recently started watching Mad Men. I really like it! But I don't really like Elizabeth Moss's dress. The rich color is very flattering, and I like the built in necklace as neckline, but the draping is detracting from all that. I think a simpler silhouette, in this same color, would've been nicer. But actually, all I could think was how much better she looked in the one episode where Peggy got glam to go out with the office gents... maybe Elizabeth should've snatched this from wardrobe:



ELIZABETH PERKINS


I like to say something nice about each outfit even if I didn't like it, because I know these ladies tried hard. So... umm... Elizabeth, my, what a fetching color on you.

HAYDEN PANETTIERE


I try not to read other people's fashion reviews before I do mine, so as not to be influenced. But sometimes I slip, and on this occassion I can do no better than the site where I saw her look described as CIT, for Cougar In Training. Hayden just turned 20, but this is the dress, makeup, and styling of a 40 year old woman.

JANUARY JONES


I could not find a single photo that did this dress justice, but when I saw January Jones on the red carpet I was wowed. I imagine she has to try really hard to put together a look for these events. After all, the "old Hollywood glamour" that other women can do would just be a retread of the character she plays on TV. This dress is architectural and truly unique. It manages to look modern and retro at the same time. Many other actresses could not pull this off but she is wearing it well. My only complaint is her hair looked a little last minute. I also included this picture to show that, while out on the red carpet it looked to be white, on stage it was revealed that the dress is actually a fabulous mint color. LOVE.



It's my day off so I'm off to run some errands. I will post parts two and three later today!

2 comments:

Laura Haske said...

Yeah for Amy's fashion reviews!

lila kate said...

1) I agree with Laura! I couldn't wait for your Emmy Fashion blog but when I looked and...gasp!... there's three?!! I shouted a giant Hooray!!
2) I think I hear Micheal Kors and Nina Garcia calling C. Applegate's dress "overworked"...because it is.
3) I LOVE Drew Barrymore's dress! I think she finally did away with her messy-huge blond hair and looks like a glowy rosy ballerina princess.
4) everything else i totally agree on!