Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Emmy Fashion Roundup & Rundown! (Part 2)

JENNA FISCHER

I really like Jenna's look from the knees up. An improvement over last year for sure. The mermaid shape is surprisingly good for her, and black, while safe, is also sophisticated when done well. The beading is okay and the sweetheart neckline is a great choice on her. She looked so happy walking the carpet with her new fiance, and I also like her softer hairstyle. Oh, and even though you can't see them in this picture, her very pretty drop earrings. The only thing is, from the knees down, the fabric is doing something weird... like what is happening with the big stiff hem?

JENNIFER LOVE HEWITT

If it's not one thing with this girl, it's the other. I approve of the dress. The color is sweet and fresh. This is the right shape for a girl like J-Love with some shape to her hips. It is youthful without being inappropriate for her age. However. HOWEVER. Unless she arrived directly at the Emmys after performing the titular role in a new stage production of Rapunzel, those extensions have got. to. go.

KATE WALSH

If a redhead walked up to me and said, "Quick, name a color I would look amazing in," silver would not be the first thing tripping off my tongue. Thanks, Kate Walsh, for teaching me something new! Like Jenna Fischer, a real improvement over her heavy serious look from last year. I have no idea what miracle of technology is keeping that dress up, but color me impressed. And I don't know that I've ever had the pleasure of saying the words "elegant," "flattering," and "saddlebags of draping fabric" in the same sentence, but there you go.

KRISTEN WIIG

Hey, Kristen, thank God I caught you before you got any further down the carpet. Come a little closer... little closer... Riiiiiiip. Wait, let me get the other one. Riiiiiiip. Okay, okay. You're good to go! Knock 'em dead, you look great in that sleeveless halter dress!


KYRA SEDGWICK

Somewhere, Bridesmaid Barbie (1996 Collector's Edition) is crying in the bathroom because she showed up wearing the same thing as Kyra Sedgwick! And her stylist said it was a one of a kind! PS. This is awful.

LEIGHTON MEESTER

I probably had the hardest time making up my mind about this outfit. I'm still on the fence. On the one hand, I love it. On the other hand, from some angles those knots in the shoulder straps looked like giant weird puffs. On the other other hand, from other angles they looked smaller and gave her Grecian goddess gown a unique twist. On the other other other hand, I thought the whole look aged her a little bit. On the other(x4) hand, I love Blair Waldorf like Chuck Bass loves ascots and suspenders, and therefore I'm willing to allow Leighton some wiggle room here. I don't know. Please tell me what your hands think, in the comments.

4 comments:

Mom said...

I always love to read your critiques of the Emmy fashions! Where did you learn all those fashion terms?! I'm impressed!

Heather said...

no no NO on the last white dress! It's got puffy, Charmin-esque sleeves! And why on EARTH does the skirt appear to have 2 tiers?! Not good. A homemade toga from a sheet could have looked better!!

lila kate said...

1) i love your mom
2) I agree with Heather - absolutely resounding NO on Leighton's dress - she's joining Hayden P in the "CIT" club
3) didn't love the silver with Kate...didn't do her justice at all - except for the miraculous bouyancy her boobs have for which i will be eternally jealous

lila kate said...

also I hate Wiig's blond hair and I really really hate Kyra S's dress. it looks heavy and as if it was made in 9th grade home-ec with someone who just discovered felt. I hate it, I hate it.