Friday, January 16, 2009

Two Scoops of Yum

Deep in America's heartland, there lies a magical place, from which comes forth the most wonderful concoction known to mankind. Keep your Pinkberry and your Coldstone; give me Braum's.

Braum's is a icecream and dairy company based out of Oklahoma, and is the only remaining major icecream company in the United States that owns the entire operation, from the dairy cows and the farms they live on to the manufacturing plants, to the retail stores where the icecream is sold. And I might be biased, seeing as how for the first half of my life Braum's produced all the milk I drank and the icecream I ate, but I will swear up and down that it is the best in the world. I'm quite the icecream connoisseur, so I should know.

To maintain their quality, Braum's only ships its products a certain distance away from the main headquarters in Oklahoma. This distance, sadly, does not encompass St. Louis, and certainly not Nashville. So when I come back within range - as I am now, at my grandparents' house in Wellington, Kansas - I have to take advantage of it!

Today we drove over to the local Braum's where I perused the different flavors behind the clear counter. I have some funny memories of the combinations my sister and I used to try. I mostly stuck to things in the vanilla/chocolate family, but Ashley... well, her bravery for pairing flavors is legendary. One scoop of orange sherbet and one scoop of peppermint? Yeah, she ate that.

The flavor perusing, for me, is really just a formality. When I only get the chance to eat this icecream maybe once a year, I go for the gold. The champion. My number one icecream of all time. Braum's Cookies & Cream. I can't even talk about it, because words fail to do it justice.

So the next time you're in Oklahoma, Kansas, Texas, or the western parts of Missouri and Arkansas, check to see if there's a Braum's nearby. You won't be disappointed.

Any other midwestern kids out there reading this who know and love Braums? Please share your favorite flavors in the comments!

No comments: