Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Happy Birthday to You

Today has been a momentous day for our country, with the inauguration of Barack Obama as our 44th President. But I'm not here to talk politics - no surprise there, to those of you that know I'd rather have my fingernails pulled off than discuss controversial topics. Nope, I'm here to celebrate another special occasion instead.


That girl is my beloved little sister, Ashley. This picture was taken on our wonderful trip to Italy this past summer. We got pretty darn good at the self-portrait - not a double chin in sight! Today is Ashley's 22nd birthday. I can hardly believe that...

Twenty-two years ago I was a three and a half year old, tottering into the hospital room on the maternity ward to see Mom with this new creature that was entering our family and sharing our lives. Dad showed me how if I put my finger in her palm, she'd curl her little hand up to hold on to me. In fact, the first thing I said to her was something along the lines of, "You've got a good grip!"

Nineteen through eleven years ago, to sleep we shared the bottom bunk of bunk beds, even though we each had our own room. I don't know why, except to be together was better than to be apart. We fought like rabid dogs and made up with little notes passed under doors.

Four years ago she stood by me while I wore a white dress and said my vows and forged a new family, and she's always loved Ben like he was her own brother.

Eight months ago we met each other halfway 'round the world and together we missed buses and saw the remnants of prior civilizations all across Italy.

Baby girl, I've loved you every second of these 22 years, even when I didn't like you very much. I won't pretend I understand you all the time, or assume that it hasn't been hard for you being the second one in line. But I do hope you understand that your gifts and talents aren't secondary to anyone, me included. They are uniquely and expressly yours, born out of your fierce personality and the passions God has sown in your heart: your sense of justice and service to those the world has left behind, like children and the elderly and the disabled, your loyalty and wit, your independence and your beauty. My birthday wish for you is that you wouldn't be afraid to love well and be loved well. I am excited for everything ahead for you this year, and I anticipate the great things you'll accomplish and the people you'll affect in your life. I love you, little elephant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you. :)