Tuesday, September 02, 2008

The Bible: Good for Your Heart

A lot has been going on around me lately - sad and confusing and frustrating and heart-wrenching stuff that has me simultaneously feeling numb, feeling like crying, and feeling like screaming. Knowing God is in control makes the hurt meaningful, but it doesn't seem to make it hurt any less. One thing I hope is that it drives me back again and again to His words. Two days ago, I said that my heart hurt; I felt like my heart was breaking. Today it seemed like everything on the open page of my Bible was there just for me, to bind up my hurts and give my heart comfort... some excerpts:

From Psalm 27
Hear my voice when I call, O Lord;
Be merciful to me and answer me.
My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your face, Lord, I will seek.

I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord.


From Psalm 28
Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy.
The Lord is my strength and my shield;
My heart trusts in him, and I am helped.
My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.


From Psalm 30
I will exalt you, O Lord,
For you lifted me out of the depths
and did not let my enemies gloat over me.
O Lord, my God, I called to you for help and you healed me.

You turned my wailing into dancing;
You removed my sackcloth and clothed me with joy,
That my heart may sing to you and not be silent.


From Psalm 31
Praise be to the Lord, for he showed his wonderful love to me
when I was in a besieged city.
In my alarm I said, "I am cut off from your sight!"
Yet you heard my cry for mercy when I called to you for help.
Love the Lord, all his saints!
The Lord preserves the faithful, but the proud he pays back in full.
Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Thanks for your words. They help. :)