Monday, March 10, 2008

Best Thing About Last Weekend

My 80-year-old grandma receiving and taking her first picture with her brand new digital camera:



I spent a few days in Kansas City with her, my mom, and my two aunts... it was really a blessing to be with them and hear all these amazing stories from these amazing women. Here are some of the fascinating things I found out:

My great-grandmother was always called "Babe." She died when my Grandma was just 15, leaving her to raise her three younger siblings.

My aunt Judy was engaged to a man before she married my uncle Phil. She found out just in the nick of time that this man was already married with five children. They confirmed this by calling his house and pretending to take a survey of household detergent users. Seriously!

My aunt Sandy, like me, loves horses. One of her happiest moments was when my Uncle Bob gave her one on Christmas morning - his name was Buddy, and he was tied up in the back yard with a red ribbon on his head.

When they were growing up, Judy had her own room since she was the oldest and my mom, Sally, had to share a room with Sandy. Even so, they all usually ended up sleeping together in one double bed. That made me smile because until I was about 14, Ashley and I did the same thing.

Anyway, there were more stories shared than I could recount here and several lifetimes' worth of memories and all of it reminded me of how very much I love my family.

No comments: