Thursday, March 26, 2009

It's Brookie Time

I have to start this post with a disclaimer. I did not invent the concept of the Brookie. I'm not sure who first decided, "Hey, let's see what happens if we make a half-brownie half-cookie cupcake," although I'd like to find that person and shake them warmly by the hand. I do know where I first experienced them, and that was in Estes Park, Colorado on my 25th birthday last year. My parents found the Brookies at the cute Estes Park Pie Shop & Bakery... you have to love a place where their slogan is "You Need Pie!" Perhaps they invented the Brookie idea there, or perhaps they merely invented the name. Whatever the case may be, I mean, hello. It was just crying out for me to try my own hand at it.

I actually made a batch right away when we got back to Nashville, but I didn't document them, and they were quickly and violently consumed. So last night when I felt like baking but was a little cupcaked-out, I decided... it's Brookie time!

Now, a more purist baker than I (and one who doesn't start at 11:00 pm) might decide to make both brownie batter and chocolate chip cookie batter from scratch for this project. Good news for the rest of us: I am not that girl. So this is REAL simple. Here is what you will need:

Brownie mix (and eggs/oil/water to make batter) and break-and-bake cookie dough. I got both items that said to bake at 350 degrees. Ta-da, ingredients, CHECK.


Oh, and one cupcake pan, greased and ready to go.


Pay attention, here's where it gets tricky. (I lied just then. None of this is remotely tricky.) Make the brownie batter.


Ummmmmmmmmmmmmy. Eat as much of the batter as you see fit. No one is watching. No one is judging.

Now scoop it into the cupcake pan, filling each cup about 1/2 full. I used my handy dandy scooper thing. You have no idea the contortionistic way in which I took this picture. I think I pressed the shutter button with my chin.


Now bake the brownie batter for... I'd say 7-9 minutes. Remove from oven but keep oven on b/c they're going right back in just a sec.

Okay, time to introduce the cookie into the mix! I smooshed off some dough - maybe like a smidge less than the actual full break-off chunk - and then just pushed it right down as far as it would go into the middle of the half-cooked brownie cup. It will probably make some of the uncooked brownie goo ooze up around the cookie. This is fine.


A note: the original brookies we bought and the first set I made where side-by-side, a ying-yang of brownie to cookie. This is yummy but I found it difficult for baking times and also the cookie and brownie halves tended to want to split apart down the middle after they had cooled from baking. Thus this time I improvised with the push-it-in-the-middle method and I found it to work much better.

Okay, back in the oven with you, brookies! Now this time cook for 9-10 more minutes. Maybe one or two more, depending on if they look done.


Well hello lovahs!

I gave 'em a minute or two and then pried them out of the pan w/ a fork. This was probably not the best idea because they were still very soft and wanted to smoosh in on the softer center and I nearly ruined a few of them. I would recommend waiting a little longer til they've cooled a touch more. Then they might come out easier.

Aren't they cute? Being all brookielicious.


A whole batch of Brookies just for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I mean, to share. Yes. Sharing is good.


Here's what one looks like cut down the center. That's what I call a winning combination.


And that is how you make a brookie. Let me know if anyone else tries these out and how it goes for you. Happy Baking!

8 comments:

Heather said...

mmmm!! You just made me drool all over my keyboard. :)

Anonymous said...

Those looked sensational! I want one right now! Thanks for sharing your instructions and the yummy pictures! I think I'll make them for one of our LAB's which are starting up next Friday. Love ya! (On a side note - how many weight watcher points are they?!)

Jackie said...

jackie from high school here. so i definitely read your blog just about every day. after the brookie post - i knew i had some baking to do (and it might or might not have had something to do with my new kitchenaid mixer i wanted to use desperately). SO - last night i made some brookies! a couple observations: 1) i think they taste better cooled off than warm; 2) there was faaaaar too much batter left over (ie, i ate way too much of it); 3) oh my gosh, how incredibly delicious and BRILLIANT! loved them!

AmyBethJames said...

H-Goz - Drooling is one of the encouraged reactions to brookies.

Momma - If it weren't for you I wouldn't have even known brookies existed! They are 0 points because they are made with so much love... that works, right?

Jackie - Hi Jax!!! Congrats on the new mixer, it will rock your face off. Yeah, I should've said something about how there is more brownie batter left over... sounds like you found a good use for it though! :)

lila kate said...

All those delicious things need is a glass of milk and a trip to my tummy!! Beautiful!

Tami Hart said...

I discovered a brookie yesterday in Eagle Idaho when I was out shopping. It was a bar cookie with a brownie bottom and a cookie dough top. Delish! I was going to make some of the bar version today but I like your cupcake brookie better because it seems a little more simplified on the baking times. Thanks for the recipe. I'll post a link on my food blog (Confessions of a Foodie) to yours for the recipe.

Megan said...

Oh NO! But oh YEEEESSSSSSS!!! I hate you, I mean thank you for sharing this yummy tutorial. I wonder if I could make a Weight Watchers version of this...but who'd want to, really?

Joan said...

My friend made this for a dinner party the other day. AWESOME! I had some leftovers the next day after 40s in the oven and haagen dazs vanilla ice cream. Oh and a sprinkling of bacon salt. HEAVEN. THANK YOU