Sunday, March 01, 2009

How I Spent My Long Sick Weekend

For the past four and a half days, I have been sick. This is pretty rare for me so it has really sucked. And to make matters worse, until yesterday afternoon, Ben was still gone in Japan so I was all alone. Just me and Scruffy in my Den of Germs (aka my house). My time sneezing, coughing, and running a fever can be summarized with the following four actions:

Watching Lost. I had decided I wanted to start rewatching the older seasons of Lost. And you know what works great for that? Days of uninterrupted time in which you want to do nothing more physically taxing than sitting on your couch within arm's length of a Kleenex box. I watched Season 2. And Season 3. And I'm starting Season 4 right now. What a way to spend four days. And as an added bonus, it's helping me remember some important connections for this season. SOMETHING TO NEVER FORGET: Benjamin Linus is a lying liar who lies.


Eating Baja Burrito. I don't know why, but the only thing that sounded good to me for the first part of being sick was Baja Burrito. It isn't even my favorite burrito place, but I NEEDED it. I went there three times, and each time I saved half my burrito and ate it for a later meal. You do the math.
Taking my temperature. I have always had this fascination with taking my temperature, but I hardly EVER run a fever. So imagine my twisted delight when on Thursday night I busted out the little digital thermometer and it read me at a toasty 102. Woo!
Sleeping. I didn't ever get a full night's sleep, mind you, too much coughing for that. But nevertheless, I spent at least 78% of the past four days either asleep on the couch, asleep in my bed, or at the very least snuggled beneath a large fluffy blanket. Nothing wrong with that.


I'd like to give some sick props to Jon & Heather, who answered the call when I was about to go insane from being in my house too long. They took me out to dinner and didn't mind when I asked to go to Target so I could get a new trash can. They didn't even laugh at me too much when I was walking around the store in a sort of craze/daze, fanning myself and wondering why it was so freaking hot. (Hint: it was the fever.)

Finally, I have to add a small note about Ben. He came home on Saturday afternoon to a fussy wife who couldn't even give him a proper welcome home kiss for fear of spreading the sickness around, but he has been nothing short of wonderful. It's so very nice to have someone to look after you when you're sick and tired and tired of being sick. He got me medicine, and rubbed my back, and tucked the covers in at the bottom of the bed where I'd kicked them out in a fevered fit. He loves me very much, and I am so happy he's home.

No comments: