Monday, November 24, 2008

Baz Movie Mania

Baz Luhrmann

Over the past few weeks I've rediscovered my love for all things Baz Luhrmann. If you aren't familiar, Baz is the visionary director behind...





These three movies, referred to as his "Red Curtain Trilogy," showcase the wonderful, whimsical world of Baz. Each film uses a specific creative expression to tell the story - dance in Strictly Ballroom, the poetic words of Shakespeare in Romeo + Juliet, and music in Moulin Rouge. I love each one for the way the most elemental and basic love stories are infused with beauty and emotion, saturated with color and modernity. Fran & Scott dancing wordlessly, back lit behind the curtain. Romeo clutching the barrel of Tybalt's gun to his forehead, screaming "Either thou or I or both must go with him." Christian cradling Satine's dying body surrounded by rose petals while the unsuspecting crowd cheers on. To me, this is the very best sort of storytelling - a heightened version of the most real and simple archetypes and emotions. Baz's films are transporting, imaginative, impossible. I love that!


This weekend his latest and most ambitious film opens, the sweeping period epic Australia.


The movie, set in and about Baz' home country and starring Australian actors Hugh Jackman & Nicole Kidman, seems poised to be for the Land Down Under what Gone With the Wind was for the deep South. I can't wait to see how Baz applies his exuberant and over-the-top film making to a movie like this.

It's been a fun time to be a movie lover! First Bond, then Twilight (twice in 48 hours), and this weekend another great movie to look forward to. See you at the theater!

2 comments:

Kali said...

Oh yes - I'm excited for Australia, too! Still have never seen Stricly Ballroom, but I love the others as well. Could I possibly borrow from your collection sometime?

AmyBethJames said...

But of course! My movies are your movies. :)