Sunday, December 06, 2009

Advent Thoughts #3, #4, #5


I figured I better catch up on my days since I started this a little late so I'm using the three gifts of the Magi to count for three different advent thoughts. I wanted to do a little research (Thank you Wikipedia) on the gifts and their meaning.

Matthew is the only gospel to mention the three gifts by name. And interestingly enough, the traditional nativity representation of three wisemen stems from the fact that three gifts were mentioned. We don't really know how many were in their group. We also don't know when they came to see Jesus exactly, though most scholars agree it was not at the scene of his birth.

"When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. And going into the house they saw the child with Mary his mother, and they fell down and worshiped him. Then, opening their treasures, they offered him gifts, gold and frankincense and myrrh." Matthew 2:10-11

I love buying and giving presents at Christmas. Spending time to pick out something perfect, wrapping it up beautifully, watching the recipient open it and (hopefully) love it... that's my favorite part. If only I would take a hint from the wise men and remember that first and foremost I should bring my gifts to God! I love that they were so incredibly excited to find Jesus that scripture uses TWO forms of the word "joy" in the same sentence. Shouldn't I "rejoice exceedingly with great joy" to find Christ this Christmas; to find him every day?

Here's a little info I rounded up about each gift and its significance:

Gold - Just like today, gold was very valuable during ancient times. It would also have been a practical gift since it could be used for currency by Mary & Joseph. The symbolic nature of gold is to reference Jesus as king. In fact, all the gifts are common to what might have been given to royalty at that time. The wise men recognized Jesus's lordship, even in the form of a chubby little baby.

Frankincense - This gift, like its name implies, was a material that could be burned as incense. It comes originally as dried sap from a specific tree that is native to the southern area of the Arabian Peninsula. It was used by multiple ancient cultures, including Egyptians, Jews, and Chinese, across Africa and Asia as a fragrant incense during religious ceremonies. It was also used in perfume, makeup, and medicines. It relates symbolically to Jesus as priest, as our connection to God the Father.

Myrrh - Myrrh is also a tree-sap byproduct. It has some really interesting historical uses. The ancient Egyptians used it to embalm the dead. Despite its bitter qualities, it was also used in fine perfumes and anointing oils, and is mentioned throughout scripture as such. Myrrh also has a functional use as an antiseptic, and is used as such even today. Whether the magi intended it or not, the gift of myrrh has come to foreshadow Christ's death on the cross. It has a haunting scriptural parallel in Mark's account of the crucifixion:

They brought Jesus to the place called Golgotha (which means The Place of the Skull). Then they offered him wine mixed with myrrh, but he did not take it. And they crucified him. Mark 15:22-24

The symbolic nature of these items is fascinating stuff, but when I think of the magi and their gifts, I am mostly convicted about my own gifts to God. Have I brought him my best? My most rare and valuable? My most prized and significant offerings? Gifts to glorify Jesus my God, to honor Jesus my Priest, to thank Jesus my Savior? Clean hands, a pure heart, incessant prayer, songs of worship, obedience, compassion... these and more are the offerings we can bring.

No comments: