Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Advent Thoughts #1

I'm a bad little blogger lately, I know. Sorry Mom and small but lovely handful of other readers out there! I thought I would try something special from now through Christmas, and that is to make a daily "Advent" post. It can be a sort of devotional, for you and for me. Let's start now!

***

Rescue. I love that word as it pertains to what Christ means to us weary sinners. There's a drama to that particular word; it heightens my sense of understanding of how very far gone we all were before Christ stepped into the world. Kidnapped by death, held hostage by our sin, eternally incarcerated for our offenses against a righteous, holy, perfect God.

And then there was Jesus. Our rescue was coming, did come, has come. That's what the world was waiting for. That's advent: the anticipation of our imminent rescue.

"Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen." Galatians 1:3-5

No comments: