Sunday, January 15, 2012

Golden Globes Fashion 2012


I love movies... but this year, I have seen so few. I think I went to the theater three times, and two of those were to see Harry Potter. I did catch up with a few more via Netflix and Redbox, but still, I watched this Golden Globes show and found myself saying repeatedly, "Oh yeah... I wanted to see that one!"

But enough about movies. We all know why you're here. Dresses, yay!

For the most part, everyone looked very nice - classic, elegant - but there wasn't a lot of wow factor. Aside from some yellow and a handful of neutrals, it seemed like dark colors and jewel tones dominated the night. Here's my take on some of the night's looks!

Does anyone watch Julianna Margulies' show, The Good Wife? Is it good? I hear lots of positive buzz about it online and in entertainment magazines, but I don't know anyone who actually watches it, and I'm curious about it. Anyhoo, I really love the color and texture on this dress, but I just am not feeling the high neckline. She looks great, but I am just never personally a fan of the style. Interesting textures and high necklines seem to be a trend, however...

There weren't many other dresses with this vibe out on the carpet, and so Claire Danes definitely stood out. I really loved the back of the dress more than the front, perhaps because every time I saw her on screen, it was really clear that she was not wearing any kind of bra.

This is so weird, but also awesome. It's one of the most feminine things we've seen Tilda Swinton wear in a while - almost has a mother-of-the-bride vibe - but it's very dramatic in that way that only she is. Like a dramatic mother-of-the-bride who might destroy you with her stare. I always get a little nervous in the presence of the evil Ice Queen of Narnia.

I don't love this in photographs (it looks like purple leopard print, which I'm pretty sure it wasn't), but on screen I liked it quite a bit. It is very much Michelle Williams' style, but without being too precious, even with the headband. Here's a high neckline again, but it suits her and it isn't as severe as some of the others.

This dress was sooo va-va-voom, Jessica Rabbit-esque, which isn't usually the style one associates with Reese. I guess that is her point! She makes it look good, but I really thought her hair was too casual and I think she could have loaded up with some more jewelry.

I have mentioned this before, but I really try not to watch or read any other fashion reviews until I after I finish writing mine. Even so, sometimes a certain look will be so controversial that I can't help but overhear some of the chatter. Such was the case with this dress that Sarah Michelle Gellar (Gellar-Prinze?) wore. The general consensus seems to be amazing dress, but not the right dress for her. I'm inclined to agree, although I think it could've been saved with different styling. I love the dress, and I love SMG (Buffy 4eva) but something just isn't clicking for me. Maybe if her hair was different? Or jewelry? Or maybe it was just a dress designed for someone with different coloring? What say you, reader? Can you put a finger on what is off here?

Speaking of dresses with buzz, Zooey's was another one. I wanted to like it, and I did like parts of it, and I really like that she went with a look so different from the "adorable" style with which she's so strongly associated. But in execution, I'm finding it lacking. I think it might be the hair? The retro-styled hair seems to clash with the gown, both editorially and literally. I think a sleek ponytail would've allowed the dramatic neckline to shine. I don't think sister Emily fared much better, as her dress is feeling like a frumpy satiny robe meets 80s power suit. Great color, though. And she looks pretty fabulous for someone with a 4-month-old.

I love Melissa McCarthy so much. And I love that she's real-life-married to Secretly-The-US-Marshall that she accosts in Bridesmaids. She looks very beautiful, if a teensy bit like she's headed to a Renaissance Fair.

I love yellow, and I love sequins, so Maria Menounos's dress is seriously doing it for me here. This is the kind of thing that I long to have a reason to wear.



Jessica Chastain is carrying on the high-neck trend. I think this dress is just a little too tight. I've seen her wear some really beautiful dresses, but this one isn't my favorite. Redheads look so beautiful in colors that no one else can wear; I would've loved to see her in something vibrant.

I feel I am staring down a long tunnel when I look at the bodice of Salma's gown. I am also afraid that if she sneezes, things are going to get R-rated in a flash. Pun intended. I would just feel a lot safer if it had straps.

As was mentioned previously, I love yellow, and so of course I love this dress, but who is Paula Patton?

I have been waffling hard over Nicole Ritchie's dress here. But let me start by saying I loved her hair. The styling of her whole looks is flawless. I love the way the cut of the fabric creates the pattern in the gown. I just get a little twitchy with this neckline that looks like your basic work-out tank top.

If I scroll down so that all I see of Lea Michele is from the waist down, then I love her look. Waist up, I have no idea what is happening, but it feels icky.

My apologies to Tina Fey, because this picture is crummy. But I thought her look was truly the best we've seen for her in many a red carpet. Love that it is a color, when she so often favors black. It's nothing earth-shattering, but she looked really nice.

Emma Stone looked gorgeous - doesn't she kind of look like she could be Mila Kunis' redheaded sister in this picture? Anyway, love the dress, love the makeup, love the black accents. You can kind of tell from this picture but when she was being interviewed on the red carpet there were these strange straps hanging under her arms and it drove me crazy. What were those things?!

I don't like this nearly as much in picture as I did on screen. When she presented on stage, I thought this was breathtaking. Incredible details and a flawless fit. Love how her hair color seems to pick up the coppery tones of the beadwork. Well done, Nicole!

I feel like Jessica Biel has a history of picking these frumpy gowns. Girl, you have a smokin' hot figure and you just (allegedly) locked down Justin Timberlake. Let's celebrate that via future fashion choices.

I don't know that I can ever see Evan Rachel Wood as anything other than a woman who used to date Marilyn Manson. However, even I can give credit where it is due. This dress is amazing. A work of art - kind of fascinating how it has these assorted animalistic features, with the feathered bottom and the scale-like sequins in the middle. Weird, that feathers and scales could come together and not be costume-y. One of my favorite dresses of the evening. I wouldn't wear it, but she sure is.

Love this red number on Glee's Amber Riley. The dress isn't reinventing the wheel, but on her it is so flattering and fabulous. As a woman of some size myself, I can say that it takes a lot - literally, a lot of undergarments, but figuratively a lot of courage - to wear a strapless dress. I love that she is wearing it and looking great!

That's all for this tired mama. Who were your favorites? Did I miss any good ones? Talk it out amongst yourselves in the comments! See you come Oscar time!

1 comment:

Laura DeHaan Haske said...

Here's my thought on Sarah Michelle and why the dress doesn't feel "right". I think it's the bubble-like short skirt overlaying the longer skirt. The designer probably thought the added volume would make her waist look smaller, which I think it would have if he had added another layer that hit between the short skirt and the long skirt to create a longer line. Instead, the short skirt interrupts the line, which makes Sarah Michelle look shorter and in turn wider. Wish I had some cool image editing software so I could try to fix it. The dress would have worked if the designer stopped at the short skirt length. Then you would see her skinny little legs and be able to appreciate the interesting fabric.