Thursday, April 22, 2010

Sports Ramblings: Draft Day

If you've ever read this blog before, you know how I love sports. But on a 1 to 10 interest level scale, with 1 being golf and 11 being baseball, professional football only ranks about a 5. I do take a particular interest in certain players, and there was a time when being a St. Louis Rams' fan was pretty darn exciting. Like in 1999.

Once we moved to Nashville, I really felt out of the NFL loop, although in the past couple years I've felt moderately more interested in the Titans. But overall, pro football isn't really my thing.

College football, however, I love. Being a Sooner fan is always pretty sweet. My happiest time of the year is those few weeks in the fall where the end of baseball season overlaps with the start of NCAA football. All this to say that my affection for college football makes me slightly more interested in the most ridiculous part of NFL football: the draft.

It's a total circus, this year being blown up into a three day primetime event. But I am interested, at least for the first couple rounds, because some of the most interesting and talented players of the last four years of college football will be on the board. While I'm especially invested in seeing where the Sooners land, I think EVERYONE is at least a little curious as to what will happen to Tim Tebow. I also want to see Texas' Colt McCoy taken in the first round. I think he's probably the most underrated of the many big name quarterbacks in this draft. And who will pick Jimmy Clausen, the little guy from Notre Dame? And what about all those other position players that no one really cares about? C'mon, it's true!

But back to the Sooners... or in reference to the draft I suppose I should say THE Sooner that's on everyone's mind. Will Sam Bradford be the number one pick by the Rams? (This is the advantage of having your NFL team totally suck; they get first dibs next time around.) Having released Mark Bulger last month, they certainly seem primed to pick a quarterback of some kind. As one of many increasingly disinterested Rams fans, I can certainly see the appeal of a big name "franchise" quarterback pick. I don't really know enough about the NFL to know if it is a good decision otherwise. Of course, as a Sam Bradford fan, I'd love it if I could cheer for him AND the Rams at the same time. Especially if they started to actually be, you know, good.

And now, just because he's awesome, a picture of Sam Bradford:


Bonus shout out: to Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh, for having the most fun name in the draft pool by FAR.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I loooooooove Sam Bradford's suit. Taupe/gray with turquoise!!! Hopefully your good fashion taste and #1 pick will translate to pro success, Sam. :)