Sunday, April 05, 2009

They Were Scones!

That title is a play off of the "they were cones" line from Wedding Singer, thank you very much.

So this weekend I had a Pride & Prejudice Scrapbooking Slumber Party with some friends. Which is exactly what it sounds like: we sat around my living room all scrapping while we watched the complete six hour BBC miniseries version of Pride & Prejudice, broke to sleep for a few hours, then woke up and finished the movie. To make it thoroughly British, we made tea and scones for breakfast. This was my first scones making experience, and I decided to take some pictures while Jenny and I baked. Please keep in mind, the scone-making process is more legitimate if you do it with a very proper English accent.

My friend Jenny was already started by the time I woke up, so this picks up as we're mixing up the last step of the dough. The scones recipe we used can be found here.

Did I mention these were chocolate chip scones? Mmmm. See the dough?


Don't overmix! This seems to be a cardinal rule for many pastries. This dough should just barely come together, so don't overdo it on the buttermilk. Once you have your dough done, plop it on a well-floured countertop.

Now you're going to roll it into a fat round shape, and then cut it into eighths. We used a pizza cutter, which worked awesome for the process!



Once you have them placed on the parchment paper on the cookie sheet, brush w/ the egg and milk mixture. I have the coolest little silicone basting brush. Look how fun and green it is!


Sprinkle with a little cinnimon and sugar. Now off they go to the oven!

Once they have baked, it is time for the finishing touch. Dust with powdered sugar...


Then broil very briefly to melt and brown the tops. Jenny demonstrates the quick speed needed for the broiling step - just keep the oven door open and turn them quickly. A few seconds is just about all you'll need.


Now, step back and admire their beauty. Ooooooh.


Aaaaaaah.


Now consume with a cup of tea and a side of Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy. A delicious breakfast indeed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your scones look yummy and beautiful! Sounds like the slumber party was great! Wish I could have been there! I really like seeing your pictures of the step-by-step baking. Thanks!

Kali said...

Love it! There's just something about seeing the process unfold in pictures that makes me want to go out and try it myself. Keep doing these! And please, keep sharing with your co-workers :)