Friday, November 23, 2007

Thankful

Thanksgiving is great, no? Time off work, family, food, changing of seasons. This year I have been thinking a lot about how people say they are "thankful" for something... but thankful to whom? I know that in all things, for every blessing I have, for every small and seemingly insignificant breath I take, I am thankful to God. Not a god or some higher power, but THE God, Yahweh, I AM, who crafted the foundations of the earth and sent Christ to save me and love me, to accomplish the dual purpose of glorifying His mercy and justice.


I think most people could list the things they are thankful for, but how many of the same could articulate to whom their thanks is given? Gratitude is by nature directed at someone or something. We can certainly show gratitude to other people - I'm thankful to my parents for how they raised and loved me; I'm thankful to my husband for his caring and thoughtfulness. But what of the things I am thankful FOR? I am thankful FOR my husband... who am I thanking? His parents, for having him? Sure, I guess. But more than that, I am thankful that he is in my life, for the man he is and the man he is still becoming, for the father he will be and the home we'll have together. To whom can I send those thanks? I know who I am here to thank. I know to whom I answer for all the blessings poured out in abundance. I know that the cause of those things I am thankful for is not some cosmic force of karma or a result of my own good deeds.

Our gratitude is without much meaning unless we find that to which it deserves to be directed. I hope you know to whom you are giving thanks.


Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth.
Worship the Lord with gladness;
Come before him with joyful songs
Know that the Lord is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise;
give thanks to him and praise his name.
For the Lord is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations.

Psalm 100

No comments: