Wednesday, April 14, 2004

The Poetics of Jason Mraz

Some of you might not have heard of this guy yet. Or maybe you heard his song, "The Remedy" on the radio last summer and fall... it got a nice seat in the top 40 rotation for quite some time. His name is Jason Mraz, and you should sit up and take notice. Go here: www.jasonmraz.com

Like John Mayer, Mraz has lyrics worth listening to - lyrics worth reading as poetry. Unlike John Mayer, Mraz has made it obvious that the writing is, for him, paramount, saying in one interview that his object was to "get some poetry into the songs." Later, he said, "Just start writing, and don’t read it. Before you know it you’ll have barfed onto your paper all kinds of things you’d hoped to do. Or you’ll realize that you are doing it, or will do it. That’s how I discovered [writing].”

Mraz is a necessarily hyphenated artist: roots-rock-jazz-hip-hop-country-pop... yeah, that about covers it. In the space of one song, there is a banjo playing while Mraz raps. Above all these things, however, Mraz has consistently impressed me with his lyrics. Again, we're looking at an artist who is concerning himself with a love for words and an understanding of their aesthetic qualities. Sometimes words can be rich with meaning, and other times they can just sound fun. Mraz comments on his inclusion of white-boy rap stylings within many of his songs, saying he loves rap because "it isn't the typical, 'hell, all I need is 12 syllables to complete this stanza'".

Mraz was also trained in musical theater, and thus he brings an element of strength and weight to his performances, which I find interesting in light of our discussions on poetry slams and spoken word poetry. In live musical performance, there is an element of sponteneity and crowd interaction, much like those elements are crucial and influential in spoken word poetry events.

Mraz is often incredibly positive, and within his songs praises the power of words and poetry. From his newest single, "You and I Both":

See I'm all about them words
Over numbers, unencumbered numbered words
Hundreds of pages, pages, pages forwards
More words then I had ever heard and I feel so alive


I also am impressed with the aesthetic qualities that he ascribes to his lyrics, often using words not only because they fit his message and convey his meaning, but because they sound incredible when placed together. He offers up compact rhymes and choppy quick rhythms that seem highly akin to many of the poetry slammers we listened to. Here are some of the lyrics from a few more of his songs, and just from reading I think they make an impact, though they are great to hear:

I heard two men talking on the radio in a cross fire kind of new reality show
Uncovering the ways to plan the next big attack
they were counting down the days to stab the brother in the
be right back after this
the unavoidable kiss
where the minty fresh death breath is sure to outlast his catastrophe
dance with me, because if you've got the poison, I've got the remedy
the remedy is the experience. It is a dangerous liaison
I say the comedy is that its serious.
Which is a strange enough new play on words
I say the tragedy is how you're gonna spend
the rest of your nights with the light on
So shine the light on all of your friends
because it all amounts to nothing in the end.


And from "All That Lies," I love this play on the word "lies" as both the noun and the verb:

Don't get me wrong cause I don't want to know what the truth is
I believe that I'd be here with or without it
All that lies around put me where I am, where I stand
Tell me can you hear all the pretty sounds to hear
Tell me can you see all that lies around


This is from another unreleased song called "After An Afternoon." I thought it was incredibly and richly poetic, in a way that I'd almost be surprised to know that someone could sing it can do it any justice at all.

I bare my windowed self untamed and untrained
Dreams that hardly touch our complexions truest faults
If room enough for both my drowsy spirit shall fall
Bold waves tumble to the season of my heart
Where you have offended my faith and my trust
Until all is lost into the beauty of the day


Well, these blogs on Mayer and Mraz have hopefully been more than just advertisements for some great musicians. I've been considering a lot lately the way that poetry and music lyrics can - and can not - be the same things. Both these songwriters have impressed me with their clever and generous use of language. I can consider it nothing less than some of the finer poetry that has caught my recent attention.

No comments: